May 25, 2018
(Richmond, VA) – The 2018 Old Dominion EMS Alliance (ODEMSA) Regional EMS Council Award winners were recently announced at the 2018 Annual ODEMSA Regional EMS Council Awards Ceremony at Kings Dominion in Doswell, Va. Executive Director Heidi Hooker recognized 11 outstanding EMS providers and organizations from across Virginia Planning Districts 13, 14, 15, and 19, for their exceptional achievements and dedication to the regional EMS system.
The awards were presented in conjunction with the start of the 44th National Emergency Medical Services Week. EMS Week celebrates EMS practitioners and the important work they do in our nation’s communities. This EMS Week kick off welcomed EMS providers and their families, in addition to EMS allies from across the ODEMSA Region and the Commonwealth.
“It is remarkable that we are kicking off EMS week for our region this year,” said Ryan Scarbrough, Regional Projects Coordinator, Old Dominion EMS Alliance. “We have world class providers within our four planning districts and what a better way to distinguish them than to have them come out to a world class amusement park and recognize them in front of their peers and family members.”
“We have so many providers and agencies from our region that have helped to shape the face of EMS into what it is today,” said Heidi Hooker, Executive Director, Old Dominion EMS Alliance. “We have providers and agencies that continue to exceed the mark of excellence, and we are here to recognize them for all that they do every single day. Congratulations to all of this year’s regional level award winners and good luck to them as their regional awards move them into the running for this year’s Governor’s EMS Awards that will be held November 10th, at Symposium in Norfolk, VA.”
The following 2018 ODEMSA Regional EMS Award winners were recognized:
- The ODEMSA Regional EMS Award for Excellence in EMS – Wendy L. Harrison, Chesterfield County Fire and EMS
- The ODEMSA Regional EMS Award for Outstanding EMS Administrator – S. Taylor Carson, Ashland Volunteer Rescue Squad
- The ODEMSA Regional EMS Award for Physician with Outstanding Contribution to EMS – Dusty Anderson, M.D., Colonial Heights Fire & EMS
- The ODEMSA Regional EMS Award for Outstanding Prehospital Educator – Joey Hammack, Colonial Heights Fire & EMS
- The ODEMSA Regional EMS Award for Outstanding Prehospital Provider – W. Garett Freeman, Hanover Fire & EMS
- The ODEMSA Regional EMS Award for Outstanding Contribution to EMS Health and Safety – CFEMS Peer Support Team, Chesterfield County Fire and EMS
- The ODEMSA Regional EMS Award for Outstanding Contribution to EMS for Children – Dinwiddie County Fire and EMS
- The ODEMSA Regional EMS Award for Outstanding EMS Agency – Forest View Volunteer Rescue Squad
- The ODEMSA Regional EMS Award for Outstanding Contribution to EMS Telecommunications – Alexis M. Dinsick, Chesterfield Emergency Communications
- The ODEMSA Regional EMS Award for Outstanding Contribution to EMS Emergency Preparedness and Response – Anna M. McRay, Henrico County Division of Fire
An additional award was presented at the ceremony to recognize the outstanding contributions to EMS by a high school senior.
- The ODEMSA Regional Award for Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a High School Senior ($1,000 Scholarship) – Elizabeth Cullinan, Goochland County Fire-Rescue
# # #
For More Information, Contact
Regional Projects Coordinator
Old Dominion EMS Alliance, Inc.
(804) 560-3300 x104