Website Goochland County Department of Fire-Rescue & Emergency Services
The Goochland County Department of Fire-Rescue & Emergency Services will be accepting applications for the position of Firefighter/EMS Provider. Our Department is an all-hazard, combination fire-rescue organization. We currently operate out of 6 stations that are strategically positioned within the +/- 280 square miles of the county and serve a population of 22,500. Goochland County is located just west of Richmond, Virginia, and is home to several Fortune 500 and other nationally known companies.
This will be an aggressive hiring process that will be used to fill existing vacancies as well as positions approved in the upcoming FY21 budget. The testing/hiring schedule consists of:
- Applications accepted until May 31, 2020
- Written and physical agility tests: June 7th and 8th beginning at 0800 hours on both days. A link to our Physical Abilities Test can be found on our website at http://www.goochlandva.us/304/Fire-Rescue-and-Emergency-Services.
Note: the tests are being offered on both days to accommodate scheduling. Candidates need only to attend one test day.
- Interviews will be conducted the week of June 15th
- Conditional offers for candidates will be made the week of June 22nd
- Background investigations for candidates who accept offers will begin June 29th
- Physicals and drug screens will follow background investigations.
- Tentative start date is August 3, 2020.
The written examination will consist of reading comprehension, mathematical reasoning, mechanical aptitude, situational assessment, reasoning, and interpreting graphs. All information needed to take the written examination may be found within the test booklet provided on the day of the test. Successful completion of the written examination will allow candidates to then move forward to the physical agility test. The physical agility test will immediately follow the written examination. Candidates should be prepared to take the physical agility test and dress appropriately for the physical activity required.
Education, Experience, and Training:
Applicants must possess a current EMT certification to be considered for testing. Preferred additional certifications include: FFI & II, Hazardous Materials Operations, and EVOC III as defined by the Commonwealth of Virginia. Applicants may apply at age 20 but must have reached their 21st birthday to be appointed. All positions require a valid VA Driver’s License and good driving record, a background investigation, medical evaluation, and a pre-employment drug screen. Hiring preference will be first granted to the candidates who possess all minimum and preferred certifications.
Firefighter EMT $46,000, Firefighter EMT Intermediate $49,000, Firefighter EMT Paramedic $51,000.
- Candidates who possess all preferred AND required certifications for the position start at the beginning salary for their FF/EMT certification level.
- Candidates who do NOT currently hold the required firefighting certifications but are certified as EMS providers will receive recruit pay of 92% of the base salary for the applicant’s EMT certification level. Upon successful completion of the training academy and after obtaining all required certifications, the employee will be brought to the full base salary at which they were hired.
Note: Candidates possessing only EMS certifications (without the required firefighting certifications) will be placed in a training academy. These candidates must successfully complete the training academy and attain the required firefighting certifications as a condition of employment.
Please attach a copy of current resume as well as copies of all certifications to your online application.
Goochland County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job please visit agency.governmentjobs.com.