The Goochland County Department of Fire-Rescue & Emergency Services is accepting applications for the position of Firefighter/EMS Provider. Our Department is an all- hazard, combination fire-rescue organization. We currently operate out of 6 stations that are strategically positioned within the +/- 280 square miles of the county and serve a population of 23,800. Goochland County is located just west of Richmond, Virginia and is home to several Fortune 500 and other nationally known companies. This is an aggressive hiring process with the following schedule:
· Applications accepted until September 30, 2021
· Opportunity to practice the physical agility test:
o Monday 10/4/2021 1600-1800 hours
o Wednesday 10/6/2021 1600-1800 hours
o Saturday 10.9.2021 0900-1100 hours
· Written and physical agility testing: October 15, 2021, beginning at 0800 hours. Location TBD.
· Interviews will be conducted the week of October 18th.
· Conditional offers extended the week of October 25th.
· Background investigations, physicals, and drug screening begin November 1, 2021.
· Tentative start date is December 1, 2021.
The written examination will consist of reading comprehension, mathematical reasoning, mechanical aptitude, situational assessment, reasoning, and interpreting graphs. All information needed for the written examination may be found within the test booklet provided the day of the test. Successful completion of the written examination is required to proceed to the physical agility test. The physical agility test will immediately follow the written examination. Candidates should be prepared to take the physical agility test and dress appropriately for the physical activity required.
Education, Experience, and Training:
Applicants must possess a current EMT certification to be considered for testing. Preferred additional certifications include: FFI & II, Hazardous Materials Operations, and EVOC III as defined by the Commonwealth of Virginia. Applicants may apply at age 20
but must have reached their 21st birthday by December 1, 2021 to be appointed. All positions require a valid VA Driver’s License with a driving record that meets the County’s Human Resources Policy standards, a background investigation, medical evaluation, and pre-employment drug screen. Hiring preference will be first granted to the candidates with prior Firefighter/ Emergency Responder experience.
Firefighter EMT $46,000, Firefighter EMT Intermediate $49,000, Firefighter EMT Paramedic $51,000.
· Candidates who possess all preferred AND required certifications for the position start at the beginning salary for their FF/EMT certification level.
· Candidates who do NOT currently hold the required firefighting certifications but are certified as EMS providers will receive recruit pay of 92% of the base salary for the applicant’s EMT certification level. Upon successful completion of the training academy and after obtaining all required certifications, the employee will be brought to the full base salary at which they were hired.
Note: Candidates possessing only EMS certifications (without the required firefighting certifications) will be placed in a training academy. These candidates must successfully complete the training academy and obtain the required firefighting certifications as a condition of continued employment.
Please attach a copy of current resume as well as copies of all certifications to your online application.
Goochland County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job please visit agency.governmentjobs.com.